I got together with Sam Middlehurst of ‘Music Run’ fame recently and we mashed our experiences together to deliver a ‘Crash Course for Event Entrepreneurs’ at the Mass Participation Asia Conference.
If you’re an entrepreneur or intrepreneur, inventing or reinventing your event, here are our ‘7 things you may want to know’!
1. Know your Purpose The reason your event exists. For you, and, your audience. You need to start & stay with a ‘shared purpose’.
2. You can’t do it on your own. Success is the sum of many, many parts. The positive, and the negative. You need a ‘team of teams’ to succeed.
3. Show us the Money You need a financial plan, to get the money you need, when you need it.
4. Know who your event is for. And what they really need. Your customers, clients & partners. What is the value you provide?
5. Make mistakes. But learn quickly! You (and others) will make them, so learn as you go. And don’t wait for the debrief!
6. Check, and change. Define success, and measure your progress. Then change as you need to, evolve or die!
7. Stay true to yourself Live by your guiding principles. And reputation is everything. It’s what you achieve, and, how you go about it that matters.
We also did a quick survey from those in attendance, as to the 1 thing they would take away to work on the next day… and the most important ‘thing to do’ was…
Let me know if you’d like to hear more about the ‘7 things you need to know’!